Monday, December 8, 2008

Blew a Hammy

We all know that there are those injuries that can occur. There is nothing we can do about it, it's just a risk we deal with because of our love for the water.

The other day my buddy calls me up and asked me if I wanted to go down to Lake Tillery. This girl he was dating has a house down there so I was like sure. We drove down at like nine o'clock. Since it was to late then we decided to hit the sack and get up for an early session of wakeboarding.

We got up at 5 o'clock and went out to warm up the boat. Joe was riding first and I had to drive. He had a couple of nice grinds and was really riding well for having just started this summer.

So finally it was my turn. I put on my wetsuit and jumped in the water. Don't forget that the water temp was about 40 degrees. The boat takes off and yanks me out of the water. I thought he was going to jerk my arms out of socket, he hasn't had a lot of experience driving the boat either. I was riding really well and loving it. Then I had to show my ass.

There are marker buoys in the lake for navigational purposes and also sometimes to mark shoals and banks and things. I signaled Joe to take me over to one. The boat doing about 45 miles an hour I was moving pretty fast. Once I got to the buoy I did or attempted to do what we call a bump grind. The buoys are floating so when you land on them they sink a little so you have to jump off the grind to not lose your balance. Well when I went up I missed my mark on the buoy and it went between my legs and the board. I don't know how it happened. But the boat kept digging and the buoy stayed where it was. So something had to give. That was my ham string. I don't think I have ever had that kind of pain. But you know what they say "no pain no gain".

No comments: